Sunday, August 30, 2015

FLASHES OF MY LIFE - 2

27th September 1927. I was born.In connection with this , would you believe the following fact which I learnt from my sister Rukmani ? I learnt this when I was searching for a substitute for birth certificate for me when I applied for immigration to the U.S. several years ago. My sister Rukmani was carrying with a first pregnancy of 8 months or so. (Jaya, the first daughter of Rukmani was going to be born in a month from then). When my mother suddenly developed labour pains she had to be rushed  from Manjakkuppam, where my father lived, to her brother's place (Mr.N. Srinivasa Iyer of Puduppalaiyam, Cuddalore) for the delivery. (There was no practice of visiting a hospital in those days!) And a nurse (Ayaa) was not available. And you know who acted as a midwife on that morning? It was Rukmani – the sixteen year-old girl, herself fully pregnant.

SCHOOL DAYS

The earliest memory of my younger days goes back to that important date in my life, namely, 29th November 1933. This was in Tirukkoilur. I was in school, probably, in Class 2, sitting in the front bench.   It was probably midday. A gentleman, whom I recognised to be my brother’s classmate (I knew his name, even then – Mr. Venkataraman)  walked towards my teacher’s chair in the classroom and whispered something in his ears. I saw the teacher nodding his head and I was allowed to leave the class and go with Mr. Venkataraman. When he took me home (which had a large pial – raised sitting area – called thiNNai in Tamil) I saw many people sitting and standing there.  I was not taken inside the house, but my grandfather (Sri. B. Narayanaswami Iyer)  who was sitting at the edge of the thinnai near the entrance to the house,  took hold of me and hugged me within his large shawl which was covering him.  That was all I knew.  Many things happened that day, I then knew not what. But now I know. That was the scene in the house because my mother had expired just an hour earlier.  I don’t remember even my mother’s face now nor have I ever been able to recollect any of the usual things that one remembers of one’s mother. I am told that a child was born to my mother  a month or so earlier and the child survived the mother for, probably, another three months.
Later in my life I heard from my family members  the following incident. In July 1932 father was transferred from Kallakurichi to Tirukkoilur.  Shifting the family as well as the household baggages to Tirukkoilur was done only by bus since the distance was not much.  A basket of all the Golu-dolls (usually used for Navaratri every year) were kept at the top of the bus during this shifting.  As the bus reached Tirukkoilur bus stand and stopped, down fell the basket of dolls from the top and a beautiful Krishna-vigraha (in the posture of crawling on two legs and two hands) broke to pieces.  Later when mother expired in 1933, this was taken to have foreboded the unfortunate event.
Another incident  which  my sisters used to refer to very often, in my later days, is the following. It seems after we returned from the cremation ground that fateful day, I, as a little boy,  was playing that evening with stones and bricks and mimicking the scenes that I witnessed earlier in the day without understanding what serious consequences the morning event  held for me!
Another thing I do remember very  very  vividly from my life at Tirukkoilur.  At that age of six or seven after my mother had passed away  once I was chased by a dog to such a terrified extent that even now (at the age of 86 I remember the scene distinctly.  No damage done physically, but psychologically so much damage was done that even now I dare not enter a house which hosts a dog, even if it is chained! My father at that time taught me ten simple shlokas (five on Rama and five on Hanuman), which I was supposed to keep repeating in order to get out of the fear-complex.  Since then, these ten shlokas have been my constant companion all these fourscore years, not only for avoiding fear of anything, but at all times and on all occasions – whether it is to write an examination, or to attend an interview, or to achieve something on a particular errand or assignment, or while travelling, in short, on all occasions and for all purposes, with no exception at all.  (Note: If any one wants to know these shlokas, let him or her write to me offline)  This added to the basis of ‘faith’ which runs as an undercurrent of all my life of learning.  In short it infused an everlasting conviction in me that if God wills it anything can get done and if you sincerely pray to Him He will listen.
27 July 1934:  Daughter Janaki (alias Jana) born to sister Lakshmi. Actually an earlier child passed away in childhood.
15th Oct 1934.  Father had gone to Kashi  (along with my brother ?) to get certain rites done for my mother just before the first anniversary of her passing away. Father’s 15-day pravacanam on Bhagavatam at Kashi Manikarnika Ghatt when it seems the Kanchi Acharyal on his first visit to Kashi, was present on all the days listening  to father’s pravacanam.  Father mentions this with a sense of great pride in his autobiography.  (I am not sure whether this date is the concluding date of the pravacanam or the beginning date). Also this was the time when some rich man from Delhi (I think the name is Hemchandra Bhargava) presented to my father 64 floral-designed marble tiles, which, along with its collective artistic design decorated our puja hall in our successive homes  thereafter for several years, even long after my father’s demise in 1956.
In 1935 there was a major incident which could be interpreted as a fork in the path of my life.  Now I have to bring in a few more relatives in my story. My father’s mother was Rukmani, daughter of Madurai Ramaswmi Sastri. She had a brother by name Gopalasundaram Iyer (d.1879). He had a son by name G Ramachandra Iyer  (1867- 1936) who later became the well known Sri Sri Ramananda Swamigal of Kollimalai, for whom there is a Samadhi at Mahadanapuram in Trichy district. My father and this  G.R. Iyer, who was a lawyer in Tirunelveli (before he took sannyas)  are therefore mutually related as Athan (athai’s son) and Ammanji (mama’s son). G. Ramachandra Iyer had four sons of whom two are relevant for this story; namely, R. Krishnaswami Iyer (first son) (1889 – 1975) and R. Visvanatha Iyer (third son) (The second son R. Gopalasundaram Iyer, has been already mentioned as  my sister Lakshmi’s husband). Krishnaswami Iyer was a lawyer by profession, but more importantly, he was a great Sanatanist, staunch supporter of Vaidic traditions  and very knowledgeable in our shastras. In fact he took Sannyas in his later life and was known as Jnanananda Bharati Swamigal. Now comes the punchline of our story.  I had  an aunt – actually my mother’s sister, widowed in a young age – whom we all called ‘sirattiyar’, meaning ‘siru tayar’ or ‘mother’s younger sister’. Her name was Ambulu.  Her children passed away even in their childhood. She had great respect for my father who was her elder sister’s husband and in some sense, her ‘guru’ because of the fact he had taught her several mantras for japa.  In fact she and my own aunt (father’s sister = Athai) Parvati  were the two ladies who took care of me over the years  as their own son, after I was left motherless in 1933.  Now this Sirattiyar wanted to adopt me as her son. The occasion was the marriage of one Ms.Bapuji with Sri R. Visvanatha Iyer (school teacher) mentioned above. (This Bapuji also was related to my father, but that is not relevant now; What is relevant is this Bapuji’s family and our family were living in the same house in Cuddalore – which house actually housed seven different families).
My father had a soft corner for his sister-in-law, that is, this Sirathiyar.  And so it appears he must have agreed to her request to formally adopt me.  Usually adoption has to be done of a son who has not yet gone through his Upanayanam.  So, I think, the grand arrangement (which many members of the family were not aware of till the last moment) was that on the day of Bapuji’s marriage with Visvanatha Iyer, my Upanayanam will also be performed and just before the Upanayanam  the adoption ceremonies would be performed. But it was R. Krishnaswamy Iyer (who had come for the marriage of his brother) who suddenly struck a wedge in the arrangement. It was either the previous evening or the morning of the day of the function. Shri R.K. pointed out to my father (both were knowledgeable on the shastras and both had great respect for Shastraic injunctions and also for each other) that a son could be given in adoption only if there are ‘bahu putrAH’ (i.e., many sons: many means three or more).  Obviously my father was wanting this kind of shastraic help to refuse Sirathiyar’s proposal to adopt me and he jumped at it gladly and clung to the rule!.  My adoption was scrapped.  (And my Upanayanam also did not take place on that day). My father had great plans to train me in the Shastraic traditions and he must have been glad on that day that he had only two sons and not three!
My actual Upanayanam took place next year (1936) on May 8. At the age of nine I was initiated into the Gayatri by my father by the usual formal Upanayanam ceremony.  To be initiated into Gayatri by such a great jnAni as my father must be one of my great God-given Graces!  If only I had been given in adoption as was almost to happen the previous year, I would have missed this bhAgyaM.  Then started the learning of vedic recitation. Side by side there was the performance of the religious obligations of a Brahmachari like Sandhyaavandanam and Samid-aadhaanam. In the December of 1936 I was given a double promotion in my school (St.Joseph’s Secondary School, Cuddalore), by being allowed to move to the next higher class (from I Form (i.e. 6th std.) to II Form (i.e. 7th std.) ) in the middle of the academic year itself. Among the many reasons that were talked about in the family for this academic achievement of mine was the regular performance of the obligatory ritual called Samidhaadhaanam regularly every morning and evening by me ever since my Upanayanam day (8th May 1936). This ritual is a homam consisting of offering of 13 samits (six-inch-long dry sticks of banyan treeto the Fire-God to the accompaniment of certain short mantras, the whole performance having a time-duration of about ten minutes or so, once in the morning and once in the evening, immediately after Sandhya-vandana-upaasanaa.  (For this purpose I had to collect the sticks from right under the banyan trees in the neighbourhood, two or three times a week, usually when I was returning from my football play every evening.)  I developed great faith in this religious ritual and it continued as a regular feature for the next three years or so.  According to shastras every brahmachari has to do this without fail as long as he is a brahmachari.
9th July 1936.  Second daughter Pattu born to Sister Lakshmi. 3-May 1939 : Third daughter Sarada (alias Bapu) born to Sister Lakshmi. These births took place at our home in Cuddalore and usually My Athimber Gopalasundram Iyer would be visiting us at these times. Note that these months are his school vacation months.   I used to go on a walk with him for quite a distance and the conversation usually would be a one-way monologue of his about his boyhood in Tirunelveli, his Tennis plays, and his Sanatanist habits and customs. The female help at home  at these times would be Sirathiyar, for right at these times somehow Parvati Athai would go to Tiruvidaimurudur (where her sisterJanaki was living, supported and financed by my father – ‘financed’ meaning a monthly remittance of Rs.10 or so!).  As an young boy I could not  understand the domestic politics of those times, though I did sense the political angle, without recognising that it was ‘political’!
Well, during 1936 to 1939, (age 9 to 12) one other thing happened which laid the foundations for my spiritual uplift.  My father  was conducting vedanta classes daily for a few of his friends and neighbours, about probably ten in number at our own home in the mornings from 7 to 8-30. (He was working as a Sub-Court Sheristadar and he was due at his office only at 11 AM; probably most of his friends who were attending these classes also worked in those Govt. offices).  For a long time these classes were on the Gita and later they became Upanishad classes.  Shankara Bhashya was being meticulously followed line by line.  The classes were invariably held on all days except on six days in a month, namely, chaturdashi, Amavasya and Pournamasya, ashhTami and prathama days – these being known as anadhyayana days.  It was my good fortune to sit in most of these classes, as a silent listener, though a few of the other adult listeners would raise very technical issues and questions, which would then be discussed. At that time it was all for me  only a shravana for curiosity only; but in my later days in my adult life when I started reading things for myself, I started realising the great blessing of solid spiritual education that my father had inbuilt into me in my boyhood!
In addition during those three years my father would make it a point to teach me the recitation of vedic chants like the Rudram, Camakam, Purushasuktam, Taittiriya Upanishad, Aruna-prashnam, Kaatakam, Udakashanti, etc. Except on the anadhyayana days this sitting with the father was a must.  Thinking about those days now, I am surprised now how I found the time for all this, amidst my school lessons, my never-failing daily football and all the other above obligations.  But more important than this is the thought that my father could spare the time from his domestic  and professional obligations, and  his minimum of one-hour pooja every morning (no exception on any day!) – he could spare the time for teaching me day in and day out.  Particularly when I was double-promoted in the school, he took the responsibility (It was on his assurance that the Jesuit Principal of my school agreed for the double promotion proposed by my class teacher) to teach me the necessary portions of arithmetic and basic algebra that I missed in school to the extent of one full academic year! He used to sit with me after 8 PM and with a hurricane light to light us physically, both of us would spend two hours or so in the open  terrace of the house in Kavara street house where we lived at that time with two more families occupying different portions of the house. Later in the sixties when my sons were in their teens I, as Professor of Mathematics  and Deputy Director at BITS,  could not devote any time at all to my children either towards their school lessons in Mathematics and Science or towards their spiritual education! What a father was my father, and lo! What a son to him!
From age 12 to age 17 the tempo of religious and spiritual activity was lighter, because the emphasis shifted to school lessons and Mathematics and daily football play. Father retired in 1939 so we shifted to Kumbakonam, in anticipation of my future college education in Govt. College, Kumbakonam (to which my father had an affinity because as we have seen earlier he had studied there for his B.A.). From 1934 onwards, my brother had been away . First for two or three years he was studying in Madras Christian college for his Intermediate, living with my uncle Shri N. Gopala Iyer’s family in Mylapore. He did not pass  his Intermediate,,because in his Chemistry paper he did not see the reverse side of the question paper where there were more questions!  As such he had to appear in September but did not succeed.  In the meantime Uncle (who was Secretary, Indian Bank Ltd) got him an apprentice job in Indo Commercial Bank in Mayavaram and Anna worked there without a salary.  Later I think he got a job right there at a small salary. But in 1939 Uncle got him a regular job in Indian Bank, Kumbakonam where a branch was being opened. And this was one of the reasons for father deciding to shift our residence to Kumbakonam. For a few months we lived in a small house in Big Street,  then we shifted to Bhaktapuri Agraharam.  and then again to  Karnakkollai Agraharam where we lived till 1944.  One other good thing in our shifting to Kumbakonam was that my sister Rukmani’s husband Shri S.S. Srinivasa Iyer had been, a few months earlier been posted as Manager (then called ‘Agent’) of the Tanjore Permanent Fund Branch in Kumbakonam.  And the family (my sister’s) lived there in the same building of the Branch office in Big Street.
God’s ways are mysterious !. One Shri K.N. Subramania Iyer employed in the Postal Dept. as an officer in Nagpur had four daughters. For his first daughter Jayam’s marriage, he had earlier come to Kumbakonam on a few months vacation in summer, searched for the proper varan for his daughter and finally found one suitable and had conducted the marriage in Kumbakonam. Encouraged by this successful experience, when his second daughter Lakshmi alias Laksham reached marriageable age, he and his family came to Kumbakonam  (this was in 1939, probably April-May) and he was searching, with the help of astrologers and friends, for a suitable varan for this daughter of his.  Finally I think his vacation was nearing its end so he decided to give it up for this year and go back to Nagpur.  He had to deposit a sizable cash in a Bank before he left and he chose to come to Tanjore Permanent Fund Branch in Big Street. Naturally he met the Manager there (who was none other than my athimber S.S.S.!) and apprised him of the circumstances of his leaving for his Nagpur home. And Lo and behold! That was the time when my athimber told him that he had a brother-in-law, of marriageable age, who was shortly taking over a job in Indian Bank, Kumbakonam. And then of course introductions started and conversations between my father and Shri KNS began. Comparison of horoscopes were made and my father was taken to the astrologer who had spoken highly of the match to KNS.  Appa and KNS consulted that astrologer and the latter convinced my father that this is a good match. The girl-seeing ceremony was done at Shri KNS’s house  All this resulted in the happy marriage of my brother V. Ramachandran with Laksham  on 19th June 1939.
When we lived in Bhaktapuri Agraharam, Rajalakshmi, alias Raji, was born to my sister Rukmani, on 4th February 1940.
From Karnakkollai agraharam, my school, (Town High School, the famous school where Srinivasa Ramanujan studied four decades earlier) was just across the street. The Head Master of that school, Sri Shatagopachariar, was our neighbour. I studied fifth form and sixth form (corresponding to modern standards nine and ten) there and wrote my SSLC examination in March 1941.  When I was in my sixth form, the other student who shared my two-seater desk was  M.V. Santhanam (who in later life became the famous Carnatic musician Maharajapuram Santhanam).  Actually he was one year senior to me but in the previous year’s selections for the SSLC examination, he was ‘detained’. So he had to study sixth form once more and he was my close friend thereafter, both in class and in the football field where both of us used to play defence, he as full-back and I as half-back. I used to visit his house and sometimes his father, Maharajapuram Visvanatha Iyer, used to talk to me and urge me to teach, this son of his, better ways of learning.

September 3, 1939: World War II starts. Adolf Hitler invades Poland on September 1 and on September 3 U.K and France declare war on Germany. Round about that time I get interested in world events and that is how my daily readership of ‘The Hindu’ begins -  which stands unabated till now!.  

No comments:

Post a Comment